As we age, it is vital to take care of the most important organ we have – our brain. Our brain is able to not only store significant memories, but also help us enjoy our lives to the fullest by being actively engaged in it.
When it comes to your nutrition, you should be thinking about the best foods to feed your brain with. The brain needs a variety of nutritional needs in order to function at an optimum level. So, where can you find them? Turns out in many common foods. Here are a few you can stock your fridge with to get some more brain power:
- Asparagus – This super food is loaded with folate Folate and folic acid are forms of a water-soluble B vitamin. Folate occurs naturally in food like asparagus. Why does your brain need it? It can boost your mood and keep mental illness such as depression at bay.
- Avocados- We have all heard that avocados have healthy fats that can be good for your overall health, but turns out avocados can also boost vitamn E in your body which helps with keeping diseases such as Alzheimer’s away. One study found people who got their vitamin E from foods, not supplements, lowered their risk of the disease by 67 percent.
- Berries – Blueberries and raspberries have been touted for being rich in memory improving antioxidants, but they are also full of phytochemicals that can help ward off environmental chemicals we are confronted with on a daily basis.
- Dark chocolate – Did you know just a few ounces of chocolate can help fine-tune concentration, thanks to improved blood flow to the brain? That is a good reason to keep it in your diet.
- Fatty fish – Fatty fish such as salmon can boost your brain power with DHA-containing fatty acids, This can help your brain in the mood area and in concentration areas.
For more food suggestions, talk to your chiropractor about your overall health needs and goals.