Now that spring is here, people want to start getting into better shape for the summer. Eating healthier will help you feel more energetic and boost your brain power, too. So start by eating foods that are “cleansing.” Not only will this help to improve energy levels, it will also help to remove toxins that can cause serious health problems. In fact, you don’t have to wait until each spring to start a cleansing diet. These foods are delicious, and can be part of a healthy lifestyle all year-round.
- Smoothies – Those who don’t like eating breakfast can still get the nutrients they need by mixing up smoothies with greens (spinach, kale, celery, etc.) and delicious berries. The greens contain chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the body, and the berries are loaded with antioxidants and free-radical fighting enzymes. The berries are sweet tasting, and overpower the flavor of the vegetables. These drinks are great for kids who refuse to eat their vegetables, as they won’t even know they are there.
- Green Tea – This is great for detoxifying the body because it is loaded with polyphenols. Green teas have phytochemicals which are rich in antioxidants, and when combined with exercise can help get rid of belly fat. Green teas can also help improve the memory. Drinking green tea can even reduce the risk of some cancers.
- Curry – This is full of turmeric, which contains curcumin. This helps those who have digestive disorders or problems with their livers. Curry is a known anti-inflammatory, and aids in the production of glutathione, an anti-oxidant that helps to protect the liver. Curry is a delicious additive to many dishes, including roasted vegetables, chicken, and even eggs.
- Kale – Loaded with vitamin K, kale aids in blood clotting, as well as keeping bones healthy. It can help in the prevention of atherosclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease. One thing to keep in mind when eating kale is that because it contains so much vitamin K, it shouldn’t be eaten while taking blood-thinning drugs, such as Warfarin and other anticoagulants.
- Cabbage – Because it is comprised mainly of water, cabbage is a diuretic and helps remove unnecessary fluids from the body. It is loaded with glucosinolates, which are organic compounds that are rich in sulfur and nitrogen, which help to eliminate toxins in the body. In addition to these benefits, cabbage also contains a lot of important vitamins and minerals, folic acid, and dietary fiber.
- Water – Everyone should try to drink at least eight to nine glasses of water each day. It helps to flush toxins from the liver and kidneys, and wards off hunger. Anyone who is trying to lose weight especially needs to drink lots of water, as it will help to fight those mid-meal cravings. Drink water before and after working out to stay hydrated.
- Water and Lemon – Adding fresh lemon juice to water is great for detoxifying the body. Lemons can help to purify blood since it has antibacterial properties, and it can also balance the pH level in the colon. Loaded with vitamin C, lemons are great for increasing immunity, and are used for treating a number of ailments, including the common cold. In addition to adding lemon to water, the juice can be used in many recipes for added flavor, including recipes for pasta, fish, and chicken.
- Pineapple – For those who want a sweet treat that is healthy, fresh pineapple is the answer. In addition to being a great sweet treat, pineapple is a great detoxifying food that contains bromelian. This is a digestive enzyme that helps people to digest proteins, as well as break down fats. Pineapple also contains manganese, which helps elevate mood levels.